Just a quick update for everyone because i know so many of you have emailed me recently to check on dad because I havent posted anything.
Here's the Long and Short of it:
The Short:
The short of it is, that a lot of things changed today and they have taken him off life support and expect he'll pass in 24-48 hours.
The Long:
As you know, he has been in hospice. The past two weeks has been a rapid decline. He had not left the bed in days. I last spoke to him Sunday night on Skype and he couldn't really talk, and was very tired.
Last night, at 2am, he pulled his trach out. He was taken by ambulance to the hospital where they put the trach back in and was put in ICU. Uncle Bill has been there ever since. Liz and mom got there early this morning to relieve Uncle Bill. It was not clear wether he coughed up the trach or pulled out. The doctor said his lungs looks very bad, and he didn't feel he had a strong enough option with antibiotics to help treat.
He then asked about dad being a DNR. This was a point of contention this past week. Hospice was able to help us re-achieve getting dad back on DNR. Dad revoked his DNR while in the hospital a month ago. For what reason, we do not know. We are just as baffled. In any event, Hospice felt that he wasn't capable of making that decision any longer and he is now DNR. SO the Dr. asked us to get a copy of the DNR. He said that resuscitating him at this point would be brutally painful on his chest, breaking bones, etc. Liz and mom left to get the copy. While they were gone, Dad took out the trach again and has refused them to put it back in.
This morning he was talking (writing) about very weird stuff, gunshots, news broad casts....very random and unexplainable things. They believe his dehydration and infection are causing his dementia.
So at this point with a DNR, they have removed life support, and sent him to Woodside Hospice (2 beds opened up last night, sadly). They said that without a trach he'd have 24-48 hours.
I spoke with Liz, mom and uncle bill. He is not on any sleeping meds, but only anti-anxiety meds. he's sleeping. He is no longer awake and alert. Mom said he is peaceful and aware (he squeezed her hand, I don't know if it was on command or not). The nurses said death is close. his vitals were very poor this evening. They could not get a measurable blood pressure reading on him and his heart rate is anywhere from 26-94.
I have no plans to go home. I have to stay as calm as I can, for Baby Barron and I strongly feel going down there will only make this hurt worse and I must think about the future and mine and little B's health. Dad said that when I left him. He pointed to my stomach and said "you take care of that, kate". So I will.
I'll keep you posted when all is all in our final ride.
Best,
Kate
Saturday, March 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment